Иностранный язык рейтинговая работа Витте
1. Прочитайте текст и письменно ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. How was Charles Dickens taken on the staff of a newspaper?
2. What happened to his father?
3. How did Charles Dickens become the most popular novelist?
4. What part does Dickens play in English literature?
1. Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in Portsmouth, where his father was the oldest of a large family, eight in all. He got his education at a small day-school and from his mother, who was a welleducated woman. In 1821 the Dickens family moved to London. Mr. Dickens was heavily in debt. The few possessions that they had were sold one by one, and finally Mr. Dickens was taken to prison for debt. Later Mrs. Dickens and the younger children went to the prison, to join their father. Charles got a job at a blacking factory in the East End of London. He was lonely and hungry and hated the coarse, rough boys with whom he had to work.
2. Soon his fortunes took a turn for the better. He was able to enter a lawyer´s office. He learned shorthand and was able to do some reporting in the House of Commons for newspapers. In 1834 he was taken on the staff of a newspaper, The Morning Chronicle. In 1836 "Pickwick Papers" came into being. At one stride Dickens became the most popular living novelist and held this position until his death. The rest can be told in a few words. He poured out novel after novel - "Oliver Twist", "Nickolas Nickleby", "The Old Curiosity Shop", "David Copperfield", and «A Tale of Two Cities". At the same time he was editing newspapers and magazines, giving readings from his books to huge crowds of people and writing constantly. It was the excitement of these readings and the strain of his continual work that brought about his sudden death in 1870. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
3. There is no other novelist in England who had such a hold on all classes of people. Charles Dickens´s books are read by all - by learned and simple, by rich and poor people alike. He was the writer who loved his fellow-men. His kindly, humorous, understanding eye looked with tolerance on good and bad alike. His characters are more real to us than the characters of any other novelist, English or foreign.
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 2, 3.
3. Напишите предложения в вопросительной, а затем в отрицательной форме и переведите их на русский язык:
1. Mary and Ann are friends.
2. There are some English books on my desk.
3. They have got a nice house in the country.
4. There was a chair near the table.
5. Jane is my uncle’s wife.
4. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to be, to have.
1. That pen … black.
2. … this book good?
3. There … three cups on the table.
4. There … a desk, a sofa, a wardrobe and two armchairs in my room.
5. We usually … got much work to do.
6. Jane … got a lot of children.
5. Заполните пропуски соответствующими предлогами по смыслу, где это необходимо.
1. Please, take that thick book … the table, Kate.
2. Fred is … home now.
3. Open your book … page 20, please.
4. Tom is … the blackboard.
5. Please, don`t go … there.
6. Whose exercise- books are … the table?
7. Please, go … the desk, Nick, and sit ….
8. Where is Jack? – He is over there. He`s looking … the statue.
9. Mary, write the new words … the blackboard, please.
10. The chairs are … the table.
6. Заполните пропуски прилагательными в соответствующей степени сравнения:
1. Your room is (cold) than mine.
2. Their flat is (expensive) than ours.
3. His article is (good) in our class.
4. English grammar is (easy) than Russian grammar.
5. Peter is (tall) boy in our class.
6. Which of you is (short)?
7. Are the streets in Moscow (clean) now than they were a few years ago?
7. Заполните пропуски в предложениях, используя модальные глаголы can, must, may, should, have to и их эквиваленты. Переведите предложения на русский язык
1. Nina is ill. She … stay in bed.
2. Drivers … stop when they see the red light....
Купить или узнать подробнее
← Назад на главную страницу